Boating is fun and a huge part of the Florida lifestyle. Negligent operators are responsible for many injuries and deaths each year. If you have been injured in a pleasure boating accident, consider contacting a Tampa personal injury lawyer like Brian Hoag. He will fight for your rights and your future.
Tampa waterways are filled with boats of every description. A pleasure or recreational boat is one not used for specifically for work. These include:
- yachts and yacht tenders
- jet skis and wave runners
- pontoon boats and airboats
- kayaks and canoes
- cabin cruisers
- inflatable or semi rigid boats
- go-fast boats
Each style of boat has its own unique dangers.
Boating Accidents and Boating Negligence
Boating accidents are a type of motor vehicle accident. A boating accident includes a boat involved in property damage, missing persons, injury or death. Most boating accidents involve at least a little negligence. The most common accidents may include
- Another vessel – both boats’ operators are usually partly at fault, so you may have a case against both operators
- A fixed, sometimes submerged, object (rock, etc) or a floating object (log, swimmer, etc)
- Towing skier or someone on a towable object
- Falling/being pushed overboard
- Grounding, sinking, flooding or swamping
- Fire or explosion
- Carbon monoxide poisoning
- Wakes and waves
Safety Equipment and Boating Negligence
If you operate a boat and invite people onto your boat, take precautions. Having the following equipment on board will help you avoid charges of negligence. The owner is negligent if the vessel lacks appropriate safety equipment.
- Life jackets for each passenger
- Fire extinguishers
- Navigational lights
- Throwable life rings
- Loud whistles
- Carbon monoxide detectors
About Brian Hoag
Hopefully, you will never need the legal services of a Tampa personal injury lawyer that specializes in boating accidents. If you do, please give Hoag Law Firm a call at (727) 231-5420 or complete your online Free Case Evaluation. A free consultation can help you understand your rights. With honest advice and an experienced attorney at your side, you can recover the largest possible settlement. You will love getting back to your life.