Tampa Motorcycle Accident
If you’ve been injured in Tampa motorcycle accidents, you may have many bills and face a lifetime of pain and lost wages. A personal injury lawyer like Brain Hoag can help you recover damages and protect your future.
Causes of Tampa Motorcycle Accidents
The most common causes for motorcycle accidents are:
- Failure to see the motorcycle
- Distracted driving — texting, cell phone use, etc.
- Failure to yield the right of way
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs (either driver)
- Failure to follow the rules of the road, such as not stopping for a stop sign or signal
- Failure to correctly estimate the motorcycle’s speed
If this happened to you, talk to a personal injury lawyer. Your initial consultation is always free with Brian Hoag.
Liability in Tampa Motorcycle Accidents
Liability is who is at fault for the accident. Florida law examines both sides of the accident to see how to assign fault. You must prove that the other driver was negligent. Having a good attorney to represent your case will keep you from assuming fault.
In order to determine negligence, the courts look at whether or not the
- defendant was reasonably careful or acting as a reasonable person
- defendant was not careful
- defendant’s actions caused your injuries and
- injury to you and/or a passenger
Make sure that you have someone on your side to present the strongest possible case for your accident.
Additionally, the courts expect the motorcycle rider to follow the following rules.
- Helmets – riders over 21 with $10,000 in medical insurance do not have to wear a helmet. However, defense lawyers may argue that not wearing a helmet is negligent.
- No lane splitting! Two motorcycles may ride abreast in the same lane.
- Must have
- motorcycle endorsement or a motorcycle-only license.
- passenger seat and footrest if carrying passengers
- headlight in the daytime
- turn signals and mirrors on both the right and left.
- eye protection
- minimum liability coverage limits on your motorcycle. Your car insurance, including the personal injury protection (PIP) coverages, does NOT transfer to your motorcycle.
Not following these laws can set you up for claims of negligence and can damage your case. However, every case is different. Don’t give up your rights. We will investigate your accident and recover the largest possible settlement to help you. Your initial consultation is free.
About Brian Hoag
Hopefully, you will never need the legal services of a Tampa personal injury lawyer. If you do, please give Hoag Law Firm a call at or complete your online Free Case Evaluation. A free consultation can help you understand your rights. With honest advice and an experienced attorney at your side, you can recover the largest possible settlement. We’ll help you get back to living your life.