Tampa Bay Laws Protect You from Debt Harassment
Debt harassment is against the law. If someone is harassing you, contact a debt collection harassment attorney like Brian Hoag. He can put a stop to the harassment and help you negotiate with the collections agency.
Federal Debt Harassment Laws
The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) is a federal law that protects you from harassment. It covers debts such as medical, credit card mortgages and other loans. It doesn’t cover business debts.
The FDCPA doesn’t allow debt collection agencies to do any of the following:
- Pretending to be a government official or an attorney
- Threatening violence or using profanities
- Sending information on a postcard
- Sending derogatory messages about you to a credit reporting agency
- Contacting third parties about your debt or otherwise embarrassing you, including your employer
- Contacting you between 9 p.m. and 8 a.m. without your permission
- Sending letters that look like attorney or governmental letters but that are not
- Attempting to collect an expired debt
- Hiring an unlicensed credit collection agency
- Communicating with you if you are represented by an attorney
State Debt Harassment Laws
The Florida Consumer Collection Practices (FCCPA) prohibits all the actions in the FDCPA and goes one step further. The FDCPA only covers purchased or third-party debt. The FCCPA protects you from the original creditor. A debt buyer must give you thirty days’ notice before attempting to collect the debt from you.
If you live in the Tampa Bay/St Pete area and believe that a creditor or debt collection agency has violated the federal FDCPA or Florida’s FCCPA, contact a debt collection harassment lawyer about your situation. With the Hoag Law Firm, your first consultation is free. We will help you understand the law and how an attorney can help you to settle your debt. We will put a stop to harassment, negotiate on your behalf and is necessary, represent you in court. You will have the peace of mind that comes from stopping the harassment and having an experienced debt harassment lawyer on your side.
About Brian Hoag
Hopefully, you will never need a Tampa personal injury, but if you do, please give Hoag Law Firm a call or complete your online Free Case Evaluation. A free consultation can help you understand your rights. With honest advice and an experienced attorney at your side, you can recover the largest possible settlement. We’ll help you get back to your life.