Tampa Area Slip and Fall
In our premises liability blogs, we’ve touched briefly on slip and fall injuries. These types of injuries are probably the most common claims under premises liability. In this blog, we’ll look a bit more closely at Tampa area slip and fall injuries.
What Constitutes Tampa Area Slip and Fall
When you slip or trip on someone else’s property and are injured, you have suffered a potential slip and fall claim. The property owner can be the homeowner, landlord, commercial property owner or in some cases, governmental agency. To have a case for a Tampa area slip and fall injury, you must have been injured and the property owner must demonstrate responsibility for the condition that caused the slip and fall.
- Floors and flooring are major causes of slip and fall. These might include:
- Failure to provide warnings, such as signs, that the floor is still wet or damp
- Failing to adequately close off an area with a wet or damp floor
- Excessively polishing or waxing the floor or applying polish or wax unevenly
- Waxing/polishing/wet floor next to untreated or dry floor
- Waxing or polishing a sloping floor
- Not using “non-skid” treatments
- Torn or worn carpet
- Rugs with raised edges, worn spots, or holes
- Items that might catch on footwear
Stairs are an obvious hazard. Unsafe conditions might include:
- Missing/broken handrails
- Waxed/polished without a non-skid topping
- Rounded or worn steps
- Debris (trash, etc.) on the stairs
- Narrow stairs
- Poor lighting
Other Tampa Area Slip and Fall Situations
Escalators and Elevators are more common in apartment buildings and commercial properties. Courts often have a greater legal duty to maintain these elements than other situations. Elevators and escalator injuries can include those from:
- Unexpected movements in the machinery
- Catching articles of clothing, or extremities on the machinery
Inadequate Outdoor Lighting can make it difficult to see where you are walking. Combined with poor maintenance, you can have an accident waiting to happen. Inadequate lighting can cause:
- Trips over curbing,
- Falls on steps from a parking lot to a store,
- Trips and falls due to holes and uneven surfaces
Parking Lots can present hazards even if the lot is well lit. Hazards might include:
- Poorly filled and patched cracks and holes
- Abrupt differences in height from one section of the lot to another
Sidewalks are a gray area. However, business sidewalks and private walkways are the responsibility of the property owner. If you slip and fall on a public sidewalk, you need to speak to a slip and fall attorney immediately.
Ice and snow are not common in Florida, so while they are a part of slip and fall, we won’t consider those conditions.
If you have suffered a slip and fall injury, you should consider contacting a lawyer who specializes in personal injury attorney. With Brian Hoag, the initial consultation is always free.
About Brian Hoag
Hopefully, you will never be in a position in which you need the legal services of a Tampa personal injury lawyer that specializes in slip and fall liability, but if you do, please give Hoag Law Firm a call or complete your online Free Case Evaluation. A free consultation can help you understand your rights. With honest advice and an experienced attorney at your side, you can recover the largest possible settlement and get back to living your life.