Stop Debt Harassment in Tampa
Almost every American has some debt. If you have fallen behind on your payments and are getting unpleasant phone calls and letters from creditors, you may need the services of a debt collection harassment lawyer to stop debt harassment in Tampa.
What is Debt Harassment?
A creditor or third-party collection agency can become aggressive and uses threats or attempts to intimidate you into paying. This is harassment and there are federal and state laws to protect you. Following is a list of some of the actions that are illegal:
• Pretending to be a government official
• Threatening violence
• Speaking to your employer except under limited conditions
• Sending derogatory messages about you to a credit reporting agency
• Contact third parties about your debt or otherwise embarrassing you
• Contacting you between 9 p.m. and 8 a.m. without your permission
• Claiming to be an attorney
• Sending letters that look like attorney or governmental letters but that are not
• Using profanities when speaking to you
• Attempting to collect an expired debt
• Hiring an unlicensed credit collection agency
• Sending information on a postcard
• Communicating with you if you are represented by an attorney
Other tactics of Debt Harassment
There are other tactics that collections agencies use that are also against the law
• Increasing your original debt interest rate
• Threatening you or family members with jail time
• Shaming you by publishing your name as owing money
Another area where collection agencies may harass you is through social media. This is not covered specifically by the federal or state laws, but it can be an issue. If you or a family member in the Tampa Bay area is experiencing any of these situations, you may want to consider hiring a debt collection harassment attorney. You can stop debt harassment.
The Hoag Law Firm is experienced in stopping debt collection harassment. We will be with you every step of the way and, if necessary, we will represent you in court and put an end to harassment. You may owe money, but you are still entitled to respect.
Hopefully, you will never be in a position in which you need the legal services of a Tampa personal injury lawyer that specializes in debt collection harassment, but in the event that you do, please give Hoag Law Firm a call or complete your online Free Case Evaluation. A free consultation can help you understand your rights. With honest advice and an experienced attorney at your side, you can recover the largest possible settlement and get back to living your life.