Protection from Harassing Debt Collectors
What Are Harassing Debt Collectors?
These laws prohibit the following actions:
- Threatening violence
- Pretending to be a government official
- Speaking to your employer except under limited conditions
- Sending derogatory messages about you to a credit reporting agency
- Contact third parties about your debt or otherwise embarrassing you
- Contacting you between 9 p.m. and 8 a.m. without your permission
- Claiming to be an attorney
- Sending letters that look like attorney or governmental letters but that are not
- Using profanities when speaking to you
- Attempting to collect an expired debt
- Hiring an unlicensed credit collection agency
- Sending information on a postcard
- Communicating with you if you are represented by an attorney
- Telling you that your original debt interest rate has been increased
- Threatening you or family members with jail time
- Shaming you by publishing your name as owing money
The FDCPA covers only third-party collection agencies while the FCCPA covers the initial creditor. It also states that a debt buyer must give thirty days’ notice before attempting to collect the debt.
This is Happening to Me
If a debt collection company is harassing you, you may want to consider contacting a debt collection harassment lawyer like Brian Hoag. He can put a stop to creditors, negotiate for you and represent you in court, if needed. You may be entitled to monetary damages if the debt collector has violated either law. With the Hoag Law Firm, your first consultation is free and we will help you understand the law and how hiring an attorney can help you to settle your debt.
About Brian Hoag
Hopefully, you will never be in a position in which you need the legal services of a Tampa personal injury lawyer that specializes in debt collection harassment, but in the event that you do, please give Hoag Law Firm a call or complete your online Free Case Evaluation. A free consultation can help you understand your rights. With honest advice and an experienced attorney at your side, you can recover the largest possible settlement and get back to living your life.