Pleasure Boating Accidents
Boats are a huge part of the Florida lifestyle. They are also responsible for many injuries and deaths each year. If you have been injured in pleasure boating accidents, consider contacting a Tampa personal injury lawyer like Brian Hoag.
What is a Pleasure Boat?
A pleasure or recreational boat is not used for specifically for work. These include: yachts and yacht tenders, sailboats, jet skis, wave runners, pontoon boats, kayaks, paddleboards, canoes, runabouts, cabin cruisers, inflatable or semi rigid boats, go-fast boats and airboats.
What are Pleasure Boating Accidents?
Boating accidents are a type of motor vehicle accident. When boats are involved in event(s) that cause property damage, missing persons, injury or death, they are pleasure boating accidents. Most boating accidents involve at least a little negligence.The most common accidents may include
- Another vessel – both boats’ operators are usually partly at fault, so you may have a case against both operators.
- A fixed, sometimes submerged, object or a floating object – liability depends on circumstances including weather and visibility. A careful operator may not be at fault, but a careless one will be.
- Towing skier or someone on a towable object
- Falling/being pushed overboard
- Grounding, sinking, flooding or swamping
- Fire or explosion
- Carbon monoxide poisoning
- Wakes and waves – liability depends on
- wake size
- boat’s speed
- boat traffic in the area
- if the the operator warned passengers that they were approaching a big wake
- whether injuries occurred on a motorboat or a sailboat
Lack of safety equipment
- Life jackets for each passenger
- Fire extinguishers
- Navigational lights
- Throwable life rings
- Loud whistles
- Carbon monoxide detectors
Negligence is failing to act with reasonable care.You must prove that the boat’s operator was negligent. You may have a case when someone did not act with reasonable care. If you are not certain, talk to a good personal injury attorney like Brian Hoag. The initial consolation is always free.
About Brian Hoag
Hopefully, you will never be in a position in which you need the legal services of a Tampa personal injury lawyer that specializes in boating accidents. If you do, please give Hoag Law Firm a call or complete your online Free Case Evaluation. A free consultation can help you understand your rights. With honest advice and an experienced attorney at your side, you can recover the largest possible settlement. You’ll feel great getting back to living your life.