Personal Injury Attorney and Slip and Fall in Tampa
One of the most common cases that a personal injury attorney handles is slip and fall. Injuries or even wrongful death can result from slip and fall in Tampa on public or private properties.
Slip and Fall Claims
If you slip or trip on someone else’s property, the property owner may be liable. The property owner can be the homeowner or landlord, commercial property owner or in some cases, governmental agency. To file a claim, you must have been injured. You must be able to show that the property owner is responsible for the condition that caused the slip and fall.
Causes for Slip and Fall in Tampa
If you are legally on someone’s property, they have a duty to keep the environs safe. They must repair dangerous conditions or warn you about the situation. The following are common conditions that can cause slip and fall hazards.
Floors and flooring
- Failing to provide warnings (usually signs) that the floor is still wet or damp
- Failing to close off an area with a wet or damp floor
- Excessively or unevenly polishing/waxing the floor
- Waxing/polishing/wet floor next to untreated or dry floor
- Waxing/polishing a sloping floor
- Not using “non-skid” treatments
- Torn or worn carpet
- Rugs with raised edges, worn spots, or holes
- Items that could catch footwear
- Missing/broken handrails
- Waxed/polished without a non-skid topping
- Rounded or worn steps
- Debris (trash, etc.) on the stairs
- Narrow stairs
- Poor lighting
Escalators and Elevators
- Unexpected movements in the machinery
- Catching articles of clothing or extremities on the machinery
- Falling objects
- Retail displays
- Shopping cart injuries
- Overcrowded conditions (Black Friday)
Inadequate Outdoor Maintenence
- Trips over curbing
- Falls on steps from a parking lot to a store
- Trips and falls due to holes and uneven surfaces
- Poorly filled/patched cracks and holes
- Abrupt differences from one section to another
- Inadequate lighting
Business and private sidewalks and walkways are the responsibility of the property owner. If you slip and fall on a sidewalk, you need to speak to a slip and fall attorney immediately. Ice and snow are not common in Florida but are included in slip and fall conditions.
Filing a Claim for Slip and Fall in Tampa
After you file a claim, an insurance adjuster will interview you. They are determining comparative negligence – did your actions contribute to the incident and by how much? Before meeting with an insurance adjuster, meet with a personal injury lawyer. With Brian Hoag, the initial consultation is always free.
About Hoag Law Firm
Hopefully, you will never need the services of a Tampa personal injury lawyer. If you do, please give Hoag Law Firm a call or complete your online Free Case Evaluation. A free consultation can help you understand your rights. With honest advice and an experienced attorney at your side, you can recover the largest possible settlement. You’ll love getting back to living your life.