In Need of a Car Accident Attorney Clearwater?
An automobile accident can disrupt your entire life. Serious injuries, medical bills, loss of reliable transportation, and many other misfortunes can fall upon you because of a single car accident. No matter who is at fault, you may need help after an automobile accident. If you are ever involved in a car accident, there are a few immediate actions you should take.
What to Do After an Accident
In an ideal situation, all drivers involved in the accident should exchange pertinent information, such as insurance information, names, addresses, and contact information. The police should also be informed as soon as possible so that they may begin conducting an investigation. In the state of Florida, any automobile accident that involves bodily or property damage valued at over $500 must be reported to the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) as soon as possible; however, if a police officer is on the scene, he or she will file a report on your behalf. If you already have one, your car accident attorney Clearwater should be informed of the accident as well. Avoid discussing any aspect of the accident with other involved parties; your insurance company or attorney will handle all interactions between you and any other involved party. Avoid admitting fault or otherwise compromising information that may result in lower compensation on your behalf.
Accident Prevention – Common Causes of Automobile Accidents
Though automobile safety has consistently advanced over the years, automobile accidents are still an everyday occurrence. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there are six top causes of car accidents:
- Drunk driving – Driving while under the influence of alcohol greatly impedes your ability to drive and is one of the leading causes of fatal car accidents. If you plan to consume alcohol, select a designated driver prior to doing so in order to greatly lower your chances of being involved in a car accident.
- Driver fatigue – Approximately 100,000 accidents that occur in the United States every year are attributed to sleepy drivers. The NHTSA reports that the risk of causing an accident due to drowsiness is highest between 11 p.m. and 8 a.m., but it is not uncommon for fatigue-related accidents to occur between noon and 2 p.m., reflecting the early-afternoon drowsiness – or “crash” – that many people experience.
- Driver distractions – Texting on a cell phone, rubbernecking (slowing down to glance at another accident), adjusting the radio, and other passengers account for the bulk of distractions that cause drivers to crash.
- Aggressive driving – Most drivers can recognize aggressive driving when it happens, but the NHTSA considers aggressive driving to occur when “an individual commits a combination of moving traffic offenses so as to endanger other persons or property.” No matter your destination, odds are that it isn’t worth risking your life or the life of another person. Exerting caution when driving and driving defensively will greatly minimize the risk of an accident.
- Weather – heavy wind, rain, hail, ice, fog, and snow can impede a person’s ability to safely drive. Bad weather may affect your visibility or cause you to require additional stopping time. Due to frequent afternoon showers, many accidents in Florida are caused by hydroplaning, during which a car’s tires loose traction due to excessive water on the road, most likely causing the driver to lose control of the vehicle.
- Excessive speed – Going over the speed limit makes it more difficult to avoid a chance, greatly increases the chance of crashing and increases the intensity of the crash. While you should do your best to meld with the flow of traffic in order to minimize congestion and collisions, speeding should be avoided if at all possible.
Keeping these causes in mind when behind the wheel will certainly help you avoid a car accident, but if you ever find yourself in an accident, the aid of a car accident attorney Clearwater can help you receive the compensation that you deserve.
Hopefully you will never be in a position in which you need the legal services of a car accident attorney Clearwater, but in the event that you are, please give Hoag Law Firm a call or complete your online Free Case Evaluation. A free consultation can help you understand your rights. With honest advice and an experienced attorney at your side, you can recover the largest possible settlement, and get back to living your life.