Laws that Protect You from Tampa Debt Collection Harassment
Two laws protect you from overly aggressive debt collection attempts. Consider calling a Tampa debt collection harassment lawyer if you are getting harassed by debt collection agencies.
The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act against Tampa Debt Collection Harassment
The federal law, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), protects you from collection agencies. The FDCPA covers personal debts like medical, credit card mortgages and other loans. It doesn’t cover business debts. If any of the following list apply to you, you may be getting harassed.
- Contacting you between 9 p.m. and 8 a.m. without your permission
- Threatening violence or using profanities
- Claiming to be an attorney or a government official
- Communicating with you if represented by an attorney
- Contact third parties about your debt or otherwise embarrassing you
- Speaking to your employer except under limited conditions
- Sending letters that look like attorney or governmental letters but that are not
- Making derogatory messages about you to a credit reporting agency
- Putting information on a postcard
- Attempting to collect an expired debt
- Hiring an unlicensed credit collection agency
Florida Consumer Collection Practices against Tampa
Debt Collection Harassment
The Florida state law Florida Consumer Collection Practices (FCCPA) prohibits all FDCPA actions for both collection agencies. The FCCPA also covers the original creditor. In addition, a debt buyer (collection agency) must give thirty days’ notice before attempting collection.
If you are getting Tampa debt collection harassment, you may want to contact a debt collection harassment lawyer. With the Hoag Law Firm, your first consultation is free. We will help you understand the law and how hiring an attorney can help you to settle your debt. We will put a stop to harassment, negotiate on your behalf and is necessary, represent you in court. You may be entitled to monetary damages for violations of the FDCPA or FCCPA.
About Brian Hoag
Hopefully, you will never be in a position in which you need the legal services of a Tampa personal injury lawyer that specializes in debt collection harassment, but in the event that you do, please give Hoag Law Firm a call or complete your online Free Case Evaluation. A free consultation can help you understand your rights. Honest advice and an experienced attorney can help you recover the largest possible settlement. You’ll be glad get back to living your life.