Injured in an Accident? Get the Most of your Settlement with a Tampa Car Accident Lawyer
Automobile accidents account for a large percentage of personal injury claims handled by a Tampa car accident lawyer. The state of Florida alone has among the highest traffic fatality rate with approximately 3,000 fatalities occurring as a result of auto accidents every year. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), injury and fatality rates are on the decline with 2013 with the number of fatalities and injuries dropping by almost half within the past decade. Car accidents can not only lead to damage or loss of your vehicle, but also medical debt, loss of income, pain and suffering, and many other personal damages that prevent you from properly enjoying your life. With the help of an experienced Tampa car accident attorney, you can seek the compensation you need (and rightfully deserve) in order to recover from your accident.
Causes of Car Accidents
Distracted driving is among the top causes of car accidents, especially as cell phone use continues to rise. The National Safety Council (NSC) reported that roughly a quarter of all car crashes involve cell phone use, whether through text messaging or phone calls. This is due to the perceived human ability to multitask, which has been recently disproven by medical studies that show that humans are incapable of simultaneously performing two important tasks. Instead, the human brain uses what is called “micro-tasking,” during which the brain handles a single task at a time but quickly alternates between tasks. This leads to improper attention being paid to what is truly the most important task at hand: maintaining safe driving habits. Statistics released by the NHTSA show that alcohol was involved in over 40 percent of fatalities caused by automobile accidents. Alcohol decreases a person’s reaction time and inhibits their vision decision-making ability, which is likely to lead to a serious car accident. Driver fatigue is also a major contributor to auto accidents. Like alcohol consumption, fatigue slows your reaction time and lessens your ability to pay attention to the road (or even stay conscious). Ensuring that you are in a good state of mind before operating a vehicle greatly reduces your chances of becoming involved in an automobile accident.
Compensatory Damages: Tampa Car Accident Attorney
There are many ways in which a car accident can incur losses on your behalf. Some of these damages may be compensated based on an exact monetary value, such as medical bills or lost income, but other damages, such as pain and suffering and emotional distress, are variable in nature; therefore, placing a monetary value on damages incurred can often be complex. A Tampa car accident attorney can represent you in cases in which you suffered an injury that caused significant damages for you and your loved ones, such as…
- Medical bills – Most cases involving personal injury involve compensation for medical bills incurred as a result of the injury in question. Reimbursement of bills is calculated based on the cost of previously received treatment and estimated costs of future medical care related to the accident.
- Loss of income – As a victim of an auto accident, you could be entitled to receive compensation for an inability to work due to injury caused by the accident. This not only includes previous wages lost due to the injury, but also any future wages you are unable to claim due to your inability to work; in the realm of personal injury law, this is referred to as a “loss of earning capacity.”
- Property damage or loss – Though the automobile itself is likely to be the sole property claimed to be damaged as a result of the accident, you may also be entitled to compensation if any other valuable items in your possession were damaged in the accident.
- Pain and suffering – A serious injury comes not without the constant pain and discomfort often experienced by car accident victims. Your Tampa car accident lawyer can help earn compensation for the severe pain you may have experienced since the accident.
- Emotional distress – Serious auto accidents may cause physiological problems, such as anxiety, insomnia, or general distress. Some states include emotional distress damages under the “pain and suffering” umbrella rather than as a separate form of damages in itself. As an auto accident victim, you could earn compensation for the hardships faced in the wake of your accident.
Don’t live another day as a shadow of your former self. Let a knowledgeable and experienced personal injury lawyer help you put the pieces together so that you can spend more time with the ones you love.
Hopefully, you will never be in a position in which you need the legal services of a Tampa car accident lawyer, but in the event that you do, please give Hoag Law Firm a call or complete your online Free Case Evaluation. A free consultation can help you understand your rights. With honest advice and an experienced Tampa car accident attorney at your side, you can recover the largest possible settlement and get back to living your life.