Illegal Debt Collection Techniques
Debt collectors often use phone calls to try to collect debts. However, they will try other tactics that are illegal. You can put a stop to all illegal debt collection practices by contacting a Tampa debt collection harassment lawyer.
If you are on the receiving end of any of the following tactics, you may be entitled to collect damages.
- Speaking to your employer, except under limited conditions such as
- to confirm your employment
- if the collector believes the employer gave them false information
- if wages have been garnished
- Sending derogatory messages about you to a credit reporting agency
- Contact third parties about your debt or otherwise embarrassing you
- Sending letters that look like attorney or governmental letters but that are not
- Sending information on a postcard
- Communicating with you if you are represented by an attorney
Furthermore, you have protection should your employer retaliate against you. If you get postcards with embarrassing details about your debt, consider contacting a debt collection harassment attorney. Your debt is no one else’s business.
What Can a Debt Collection Tampa Attorney Do?
A good debt collection attorney will immediately put a stop to harassing phone calls and other illegal activities. Keep a record of all phone calls to you, your employer or others and bring it to the lawyer’s office. Bring all letters and correspondence as well. The attorney will use that information to put a stop to the harassment. You may be entitled to collect damages and attorney’s fees for each time a collection company violates the state and federal laws that protect you.
Do You Have a Case?
Contact Brian Hoag at Hoag Law Office for a free consultation. It could be one of the most important and life-changing meetings of your life.
Hopefully, you will never be in a position in which you need the legal services of a Tampa personal injury lawyer that specializes in debt collection harassment, but in the event that you do, please give Hoag Law Firm a call or complete your online Free Case Evaluation. A free consultation can help you understand your rights. With honest advice and an experienced attorney at your side, you can recover the largest possible settlement and get back to living your life.