Does My Insurance Cover Body Damage to My Vehicle?

The Florida Department for Highway Safety & Motor Vehicles reported that there were approximately 340,410 traffic crashes statewide in 2020. Negligence among motorists is among the main reasons for motor vehicle accidents. Unfortunately, some of these accidents often cause minor to severe injuries, property damages, or sometimes death. If your car or motorcycle sustains body damage or has mechanical issues due to a traffic collision, you may have grounds to pursue compensation.

The Hoag Law Firm offers experienced legal guidance and comprehensive representation to clients in personal injury cases. As a knowledgeable Florida personal injury attorney, Brian M. Hoag will review and investigate the circumstances surrounding the incident, determine whether your insurance covers body damage to your car or motorcycle, and explore your legal options to seek compensation. The Hoag Law Firm is proud to serve personal injury victims throughout Tampa, St. Petersburg, Bradenton, and Clearwater, Florida.

Personal Injury Claims in Florida

Florida is a "no-fault" state. Under this type of system, a person involved in a traffic collision must turn to their auto insurance carrier to recover damages or file injury claims, regardless of who was responsible for the accident.

Because of this, all Florida motorists are required to purchase Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance coupled with their auto insurance policy. The PIP insurance will cover medical bills, lost wages, and death benefits after an auto accident.

Comparative Negligence

Furthermore, Florida uses a "pure comparative fault" rule. This means you may still recover damages even if you were partially responsible for the accident. The amount of financial compensation that an injured victim may recover, however, will be reduced by their percentage of fault.

Florida Insurance Requirements

The minimum requirements for auto insurance coverage in Florida are:

  • $10,000 for personal injury protection (PIP) — This covers you whether or not you are at-fault in an auto accident.
  • $10,000 for property damage liability (PDL) — This pays for the damage or repairs to the other person’s car or property.

Vehicle Repairs

Unfortunately, the PIP insurance does not cover property damage at all in Florida. If your car, motorcycle, or property was damaged in the traffic collision, the property damage liability (PDL) of the at-fault party is the first place to look to cover the cost of repairs.

If the at-fault party is uninsured or underinsured, then you will have to have collision insurance that would cover the necessary repairs.

The insurance company will conduct a detailed investigation to determine fault. The insurer's recommended body shop will assess the damage to your vehicle. An insurance adjuster may also be called upon to evaluate the car or motorcycle and determine the extent of the damage. In most cases, payment for your repairs will be made directly to the repair shop.

How an Attorney Can Help

Being involved in an auto accident can be a painful and unsettling experience. Such an incident may leave your car or motorcycle with minor dents, dings, and scratches, or — in a worst-case scenario — the vehicle could be rendered undrivable. You may not have to bear the repair costs all alone. When involved in an accident, an experienced personal injury attorney can help protect your rights and pursue compensation to cover repairs or property damage.

The Hoag Law Firm handles personal injury cases and protects the rights of individuals involved in auto accidents. As your legal counsel, attorney Brian M. Hoag will review your unique circumstances, explore your legal options to pursue compensation for your vehicle repairs, and fight aggressively to protect you against bad faith insurance tactics.

Property damage claims through your insurer can be a hassle. Call The Hoag Law Firm to schedule a consultation. Brian Hoag can offer you the comprehensive legal guidance you need and help you pursue compensation for your property damage claim. The Hoag Law Firm proudly serves clients throughout Tampa, St. Petersburg, Bradenton, and Clearwater, Florida.

Recent Posts