Contacting a Debt Collection Harassment Attorney
So you are being debt collection harassed and you’ve decided it needs to be stopped. What are your steps?
Debt Collection Harassment Attorney
- Contact a debt collection harassment attorney like Brian Hoag. Your initial consultation is free. Follow this link to fill out a free case evaluation
- Keep a log of all debt collection phone calls to you, family members or employers.
- Time, date, conversation details, and name of caller if possible
- If the caller uses profanities or threatens you, record that!
- Note if the person claims to be a government agent or an attorney
- Collect all paperwork pertaining to the debts
- Initial contract if possible
- Payment history
- Letters or postcards from the collection agency
- Letters that appear to be from the government or attorneys
- Bring copies of emails, and screenshots of Facebook or twitter comments, etc from the collection agency
- Anything else that may be important to the case
Initial Debt Collection Harassment Attorney Meeting
During the initial meeting, your attorney will look over the information and talk to you about what is happening.
- You will discuss payment options a flat fee; by the hour; or by the result.
- Ask if there is a cap on hourly fees
- Ask if there is a retainer (like a down payment toward your final fees)
- Discuss payment plans
- Ask about other fees such as court expenses
- Tell your attorney what is the maximum amount you are willing to pay your creditor
If you and your attorney decide to work together, there will be some paperwork to sign.
- Read the paperwork carefully. This is a legal contract
- Make a note of all phone calls you receive after your meeting. Once an attorney represents you, you cannot be contacted by a debt collection agency
- Give your attorney all letters, emails etc that arrive after you start working together
- Keep in contact with your attorney
- Provide any information your attorney requests in a timely manner
- If you go to trial, your attorney will help you prepare for the deposition and trial
About Brian Hoag
Hopefully, you will never be in a position in which you need the legal services of a Tampa personal injury lawyer that specializes in debt collection harassment, but in the event that you do, please give Hoag Law Firm a call or complete your online Free Case Evaluation. A free consultation can help you understand your rights. With honest advice and an experienced attorney at your side, you can recover the largest possible settlement and get back to living your life.