Bicycling is great exercise, a good way to commute and to enjoy Florida’s amazing bike trails. However, injuries and death are increasing as well. A recent study in California indicated that costs associated with non-fatal bike crashes increase by $789 million each year.
Bicycling Accidents Statistics
The NHTSA National Survey of Bicyclist and Pedestrian Attitudes and Behaviors ranks the most common causes of crashes, from highest to lowest, as follows:
- Hit by a car (distraction from electronics, speeding, etc)
- Cyclist ran a red light or failed to stop at a stop sign
- Driver failed to see cyclist
- Roadway not in good repair
- Rider error
- Crashed/ collision with fixed object (including car door opening)
- Dog/other animal ran out
If your bicycle crash was the fault of someone else, contact a personal injury attorney like Brian Hoag. Your medical and lost wages can quickly become astronomical. A 2010 study showed that lifetime medical costs and lost productivity for all US bike crashes totaled $10 billion.
Most bicycling deaths occur between 6 p.m. and 9 p.m. in urban areas. Most are male and about 20% of crashes involve bicycling while intoxicated. More than one third of bicycling deaths involve alcohol use by either the driver or the rider.
Protecting Yourself as a Bike Rider
Because Florida apportions blame, you can protect yourself and your rights by riding responsibly.
- Obey all traffic laws including traffic signs and alcohol use
- Remain alert by not riding while intoxicated, using head phones, etc.
- Wear a helmet and other protective gear including reflective gear. Riders under 16 must wear helmets. However, helmets are a good idea for every rider.
A defense attorney may argue that a helmet-less bike rider is partially or fully responsible for their injuries. Protect yourself by always following the rules of the road.
Contact Brian Hoag if you were injured in bicycling accidents. He will represent you and your interests and help you recover the largest possible damages. The initial consultation is always free.
About Brian Hoag
Hopefully, you will never need the legal services of a Tampa personal injury lawyer. If you do, please give Hoag Law Firm a call or complete your online Free Case Evaluation. A free consultation can help you understand your rights. With honest advice and an experienced attorney at your side, you can recover the largest possible settlement. It will feel great to get back to living your life.